Novak Djokovic’s visa has been cancelled for the second time, dealing another blow to the tennis great.
Immigration Minister Alex Hawke made the decision, and the 34-year-old might now be deported from Australia.
It also implies that Djokovic might be barred from obtaining a visa in the nation for three years, but this could be lifted.
Hawke said in a statement: “Today I exercised my power… to cancel the visa held by Mr Novak Djokovic on health and good order grounds, on the basis that it was in the public interest to do so.”
Under Australia’s Migration Act, the immigration minister has the authority to revoke the visa.
It means he may deport anybody he thinks poses a threat to “the health, safety, or good order of the Australian community.”
The Serbian’s visa was originally revoked on January 6 after he failed to present sufficient documentation to qualify for a vaccination exemption.
He was subsequently held in an immigration hotel while filing an appeal to have his visa renewed; he was successful, and it appeared that he would be allowed to compete in this year’s Australian Open.
he world number one tweeted on Monday: “I’m pleased and grateful that the judge overturned my visa cancellation. Despite all that has happened, I want to stay and try to compete at the Australian Open.”
Following his successful appeal, he had to defend himself against claims that he lied on his travel form by stating that he had not traveled for 14 days prior to his arrival in Australia, when in reality he had been to Spain.
He blamed his agent for the mistake and he said it was “human error.”
But he then did an interview with a journalist and also took part in a photoshoot after he tested positive for COVID-19 which has put his reputation to a new low.
Djokovic was looking to win his 21st Grand Slam title in Melbourne in a bid to take him ahead of Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer which includes a record nine Australian Open crowns.